Humans are social creatures, so it seems obvious that maintaining an active social life is good for the body and mind. Now, scientific studies are backing up that intuition, revealing that social activities for seniors boosts the health of your brain and your body.
Evidence points directly to the benefits of companionship and social engagement for the elderly. A study published in the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society showed that a one point increase in social activity score was associated with a 47% decrease in the rate of decline in global cognitive function. Seniors who were exceptionally social had a 70% decrease in their level of cognitive decline when compared to their less social peers.
As we all know, maintaining good, solid social connections becomes more challenging with age, which means it’s vital to encourage social activities for seniors in order to foster better health. Following are a few ways a Walnut Creek home care agency like Hillendale Home Care can help seniors stay social and preserve their wellbeing:
- Encourage attendance at and escort seniors to social events like club meetings, fairs, holiday festivities and parades, plays, concerts, sporting events, religious services and church activities.
- Participate in interactive games with clients such as board games, cards and video and computer games.
- Arrange for visits with friends and neighbors.
- Provide transportation to an adult day facility or a low impact exercise class.
- Accompany the senior to family celebrations or vacations for maximum comfort and safety.
- Help older adults navigate social networking sites such as Facebook and Skype so they can connect with family and friends who live at a distance.
In the Social Activity and Wellbeing of Older Australians Study, which tested over 6,000 seniors across about 5 1/2 years, seniors who have frequent social activity had a slower decline in intellectual and memory capabilities. Effective mental ability was maintained best in those individuals who were the most socially active.
Social health is an important part of overall health and wellness for older adults, and the professional senior care team at Hillendale Home Care is excited to help our senior clients stay active both physically and socially. Contact us today to find out how we provide the quality eldercare Walnut Creek, CA area seniors need to stay social, healthy, and happy.